Thursday, October 24, 2013

DIY wedding guest (photo) book


I knew I didn't want a traditional guest book for wedding guests to simply write their name on a line like an attendance record. I wanted them to do a little work and to write us something nice and heartfelt or funny we could look back on for years (Andrew and I are both writers, after all). :) But I wasn't into the Jenga pieces, thumbprint trees, river rocks and other off-beat guest books you might see at weddings nowadays. They are awesome and creative, but it was hard for me to imagine them lasting a long time or being displayed after the wedding. I also wanted a way we could keep a small album of our engagement photos. So, I decided to make a photo album that guests could sign...


I ordered one of Kolo's "Newbury" photo albums on Amazon. The quality is outstanding, the pages are thick and crisp (and not lined!) and the ivory ribbon added a nice classy touch. I then bought some scrapbook photo mounting corners (like these) at Michaels and had various photos printed in black and white at CVS.



The first page has the lyrics of our first dance "Forever Like That" by Ben Rector. You can listen to it HERE! I'm head over heels for that song. The second page has photos of me and Andrew when we were both three years old. Look at my jelly shoes and his little smirk. Ha! 
A good tip to get everyone to sign it on the wedding day: Put up a sign! And also, if you have a family breakfast or brunch the next day, bring your guest book for the stragglers. You'll be amazed how many people missed it at the wedding, lured away by other duties... or cocktails and conversations. ;)

The last step...finding a good smooth pen for everyone to use that won't smudge. 

As we were setting up for the wedding in the morning, my maid of honor Kim and my cousins and I stopped to flip through the pages...






...seems like just yesterday!


*Wedding day photos courtesy of Kirsten Manick Photography. All other photos are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment